National Voter Registration Day
ABOUT NATIONAL VOTER REGISTRATION DAY
National Voter Registration Day is a national holiday celebrating our democracy. It was first observed in 2012 and has been growing in popularity every year since. Held on the fourth Tuesday of September, National Voter Registration Day will take place on September 24, 2019. The holiday has been endorsed by the National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS). It is further supported by the National Association of State Election Directors (NASED), the U.S. Election Assistance Commission (EAC), and the National Association of Election Officials (The Election Center).
What It’s About
Every year millions of Americans find themselves unable to vote because they miss a registration deadline, don’t update their registration, or aren’t sure how to register. National Voter Registration Day wants to make sure everyone has the opportunity to vote. On Tuesday September 24, 2019 volunteers and organizations from all over the country will “hit the streets” in a single day of coordinated ﬁeld, technology and media efforts. National Voter Registration Day seeks to create broad awareness of voter registration opportunities to reach tens of thousands of voters who may not register otherwise.
What It Involves
- Volunteers in their community or workplace, at schools or public events, or anywhere can register people to vote.
- Technology to help voters ﬁnd registration drives nearby and register to vote online.
- Local organizations, businesses and election offices engaged in their own communities.
- Tens of thousands of voters registering to vote online and ofﬂine in a single day.
What It Will Accomplish
- Registering Voters: In 2018 over 800,000 voters used National Voter Registration Day to register to vote across all 50 states.
- Mobilizing Volunteers: Each year the holiday’s growing number of local partners engage upwards to 10,000 local volunteers.
- Educating Voters: Millions of voters need to register and re-register every year. By utilizing new technology and leveraging partners, we’ll educate Americans in all 50 states about how to register, sign up for election reminders, check their registration online, get mail ballots, learn about early voting and more.
- Uniting for a Common Purpose: National Voter Registration Day is a day of civic unity. It’s an opportunity to set aside differences and celebrate democracy and the rights and opportunities we all share as Americans.