Take Action Against the #FakeNationalEmergency
Concerned about the president’s #FakeNationalEmergency and wondering what to do? Here are your next steps.
President Trump declared a national emergency on Friday in an attempt to get the border wall that Congress refused to fund (because its not actually an emergency!). This raises a variety of concerns: Landowners near the border will soon see their land seized by the federal government. The president’s declaration ignores the Constitution and sidesteps Congress. It also sets a dangerous precedent for future presidents who might want to ignore Congress, the Constitution, and the rule of law.
So, what can you do?
Attend a President’s Day Protest. MoveOn, Indivisible, ACLU, and other organizations are organizing peaceful, NON-VIOLENT, rapid response rallies around the country to protest Trump’s national emergency declaration on President’s Day, Monday, January 18th. Locations in and around central New Jersey are listed below. You can find events in other locations here.
- Princeton, Hinds Plaza, 12pm
- Newtown, PA, outside Congressman Fitzpatrick’s office, 5pm
- Philadelphia, south side of City Hall, 12pm
- Red Bank, Riverside Gardens Park, 12pm
- Asbury Park, 12pm
- Tom’s River, Huddy Park, 11am
- Newark, Federal Building, 12pm
Contact your members of Congress and tell them to pass a resolution to terminate the emergency declaration. The National Emergencies Act includes a provision that allows Congress to pass a resolution and thereby terminate a president’s emergency declaration. Make sure your members of Congress know that you want them to support a resolution to terminate! Call your 2 senators and 1 House representative. (Don’t like talking on the phone? No problem! Call after hours and leave a voicemail! Not sure who your House rep is? Find out here.)
- Sen. Cory Booker: 202-224-3224 or 973-639-8700
- Sen. Bob Menendez: 202-224-4744 or 973-645-3030
- Rep. Andy Kim (NJ-3): 202-225-4765
- Rep. Chris Smith (NJ-4): 202-225-3765 or 609-585-7878
- Rep. Tom Malinowsi (NJ-7): 202-225-5361 or 908-547-3307
- Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman (NJ-12): 202-225-5801 or 609-883-0026
YOUR TALKING POINTS:
- My name is….I live in….[make sure they know you are a constituent!]
- I want Congress to pass a resolution terminating the president’s national emergency declaration.
- The president’s actions are unconstitutional. Congress needs to take action now to protect our democracy.
- I expect you to support a resolution to terminate.
- I will be following your actions on this issue closely.
- Thank you for all you do for our state/district.
Finally, you can donate money to the organizations challenging the emergency declaration in court. As of this writing, the ACLU, Public Citizen, and the Frontera Audubon Society in Texas have filed suit.