Take a Stand for Fair Redistricting over Thanksgiving Break!
Partisan gerrymandering has no place in the NJ Constitution! Contact state Senate Budget & Appropriations Committee chair Paul Sarlo and other members and say NO to SCR 43!
Voters all around the country want a fair, non-partisan redistricting process so we can put an end to gerrymandering. Let voters choose their politicians, not the other way around! The League of Women Voters and Fair Districts NJ are currently working to create an independent, citizen-led redistricting commission. But suddenly, a bill that would actually change the state constitution to require partisan considerations in redistricting is being fast-tracked through the state legislature and scheduled for a committee hearing on the Monday morning right after Thanksgiving! Contact committee chair Paul Sarlo (D-36), and as many other committee members as you can, and tell them to SAY NO to SCR43 and SAY YES to FAIR DISTRICTS NJ!
If your state senator is on this committee, be sure to contact them too. As a constituent, your voice is very powerful! (Not sure who your state senator is? Find out here.)
WHO TO CONTACT (Hate talking to people on the phone? No problem! Send emails or call after hours and leave a voicemail!)
- Chair Paul Sarlo (D-36): 201-804-8118 or SenSarlo@njleg.org
- Vice-Chair Brian Stack (D-33): 201-721-5263 or SenStack@njleg.org
- Dawn Marie Addiego (R-8): 609-654-1498 or SenAddiego@njleg.org
- Anthony Bucco (R-25): 973-627-9700 or SenBucco@njleg.org
- Nilsa Cruz-Perez (D-5): 856-541-1251 or SenCruzPerez@njleg.org
- Sandra Cunningham (D-31): 201-451-5100 or SenCunningham@njleg.org
- Patrick Diegnan (D-18): 908-757-1677 or SenDiegnan@njleg.org
- Linda Greenstein (D-14): 609-395-9911 or SenGreenstein@njleg.org
- Declan O’Scanlon (R-13): 732-444-1838 or SenOscanlon@njleg.org
- Steven Oroho (R-24): 973-300-0200 or SenOroho@njleg.org
- Teresa Ruiz (D-29): 973-484-1000 or SenRuiz@njleg.org
- Troy Singleton (D-7): 856-234-2790 or SenSingleton@njleg.org
- Samuel Thompson (R-12): 732-607-7580 or SenThompson@njleg.org
POSSIBLE TALKING POINTS:
- I am contacting you because you are [the chair/the vice-chair/a member] of my state Senate Budget & Appropriations Committee.
- Vote NO on SCR43 at your committee hearing on Monday, November 26th!
- Say NO to SCR43 and say YES to Fair Districts NJ!
- It hurts our democracy when politicans can choose their voters.
- Voters should choose their elected officials, not the other way around!
- New Jersey needs an independent, non-partisan, citizen-led commission to redraw districts.
- I support the Fair Districts NJ campaign. I want independent, citizen-led redistricting in our state!
- I will be contacting my 3 state legislators to voice my strong opposition to SCR 43!
- About SCR 43
- About Fair Districts NJ’s plan
- About why people want independent redistricting in NJ
- About why redistricting matters