Stop the GOP Tax Cuts — Your #KillTheBill To-Do List
The Senate is poised to move forward this week with their version of the terrible tax cut bill. We need everyone to help #KillTheBill. Want to see a straightforward list of actions you can take? Then keep reading, and help us cross off the items on our #KillTheBill to-do list.
No matter how much time or energy you have this week, you need to help stop the GOP’s terrible tax cut plan. Why?
- Both GOP tax cut bills are bad for New Jersey (that is, unless you make more than $440,000 a year! If you do, you’ll be one of the 5% of New Jersey families who will receive 49% of the tax cut).
- The GOP tax cut bills will be a “disaster” for our country, adding more than $1 trillion to our federal deficit.
- The Senate tax bill will hurt the poor, while helping the very wealthiest Americans and biggest corporations.
- The Senate tax bill includes a repeal of the ACA’s individual mandate, which will lead to millions of people losing their insurance.
- The GOP has used “an alarming array of accounting gimmicks intended to mask the true cost of the tax cuts” — in order to ram the bill through Congress with only a simple majority.
Are you mad yet? There are even more reasons to be — and not enough space to list them all here! Take that anger and do something constructive with it — here’s a list of actions you can take, with options for everyone, no matter how much time and energy you have this week. Help us cross off this list by choosing one (or more!) items.
Your #KillTheBill To-Do List for the week of 11/27-12/2
- Attend one of the peaceful protests scheduled for this week. There are events planned for today (Monday), Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. You can find a list of events and links here. If you live near Toms River, Marlton, Philadelphia, or Newtown, PA, please try to make it to one of these events to represent all the New Jerseyans who live too far away to attend.
- Can’t make it to a protest? No problem — stand in solidarity by making a phone call. Call Rep. Tom MacArthur, the only NJ House rep who voted for the House tax cut bill earlier this month, at 202-225-4765 or 856-267-5182 or 732-569-6495. Tell MacArthur to let his Senate colleagues know just how much New Jerseyans oppose this terrible tax bill. This is especially important if you are MacArthur’s constituent! (If you hate making phone calls, no problem — call after hours and leave a voicemail!)
- Call Sen. Booker and Sen. Menendez to thank them for opposing this terrible tax cut bill, and ask them to do everything in their power to stop it. (If you hate making phone calls, no problem — call after hours and leave a voicemail!) Call your senators
(202) 224-4744 Sen. Menendez
(202) 224-3224 Sen. Booker
- Make phone calls to constituents in key states with Indivisible’s simple Peer-to-Peer Calling Tool. Sign up here.
- Make phone calls to senators in key states. The Center for American Progress Action Fund has a list of 9 key senators you can call. (Feel weird about calling when you’re not their constituent? Here’s what you can say when the staffer asks for your address: “Sen. X is about to vote on a bill that would drastically increase our federal deficit and affect the entire country. I want to let her/him know how it will affect my state/my family.”)
- Share this call-to-action with your Facebook friends and/or your email contacts.
- Let Sen. Booker (and your social media connections) know just how concerned you are by taking part in the November 28th Thunderclap.
Which of these items can you do? Make a plan now and help #KillTheBill!