Join with 4 Million Americans to Protect our Democracy — Call Your House Rep Today!
Join Public Citizen’s National Call-In Day today, June 13th — Call your House representative and urge them to sign the discharge petition to bring the Protecting Our Democracy Act (HR 356) to the House floor for a vote!
(856) 427-7000 Rep. Norcross (1st)
(609) 625-5008 Rep. LoBiondo (2nd)
(732) 569-6495 Rep. MacArthur (3rd)
(732) 780-3035 Rep. Smith (4th)
(888) 216-5646 Rep. Gottheimer (5th)
(732) 249-8892 Rep. Pallone (6th)
(908) 788-6900 Rep. Lance (7th)
(908) 820-0692 Rep. Sires (8th)
(201) 935-2248 Rep. Pascrell (9th)
(201) 369-0392 Rep. Payne (10th)
(973) 984-0711 Rep. Frelinghuysen (11th)
(609) 883-0026 Rep. Coleman (12th)
Not in NJ?
Call to be directly connected to your rep
Your talking points:
- We need to find out how Russia interfered in our election, and who might have helped them.
- We need to find out if the president’s actions in the firing of James Comey were attempts to obstruct justice.
- The president can still order the deputy attorney general to fire special counsel Robert Mueller! For this reason we need Congress to create an independent commission.
- (If you have a Democratic House representative): Thank you for signing the discharge petition to bring HR 356 to the House floor for a vote! Please do everything you can to persuade more representatives to sign it.
- (If you have a Republican House representative): Sign the discharge petition to bring HR 356 to the House floor for a vote!
(Not sure who your House rep is? Find out here.)
Last Wednesday, June 7th, the advocacy group Public Citizen, with the help of 19 other organizations, delivered a petition with 4 million signatures asking House representatives to sign on to a discharge petition that would bring the Protecting Our Democracy Act (HR 356) to the House floor for a vote.
HR 356 has been stuck in committee since being introduced on January 6th by Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA). Though 2 Republicans have now signed on as co-sponsors, Republican House leaders control whether it can move forward, and they are not in support of the bill. There is one way for a minority party in the House to get around this, however: the discharge petition. If 218 members of the House sign on to a discharge petition, a bill will come to the floor of the House for a vote no matter whether House leadership supports it or not. House Democrats initiated a discharge petition for the Protecting Our Democracy Act on May 17th. Currently, there are 193 signatures. All of New Jersey’s Democratic House representatives have added their names to the petition: Donald Norcross (D-1), Josh Gottheimer (D-5), Frank Pallone (D-6), Albio Sires (D-8), Bill Pascrell (D-9), Donald Payne (D-10), and Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-12). We need 25 more House representatives, including 23 Republicans, to sign on.
The need for Congress to create an independent commission is greater than ever, after reports yesterday that the president is considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller! In addition, the current congressional investigations into Trump-Russia connections are understaffed. House Intelligence Committee ranking member Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) says his committee is stretched thin as staffers try to cover the Trump-Russia investigation as well as their normal oversight duties. The Protecting Our Democracy Act (HR 356) would solve these problems by creating an independent, bipartisan commission over which the president has no authority, and by providing far more resources and staff for the investigation.
Take 2 minutes to protect democracy and call your House rep today!
(TIP #1: Hate talking on the phone? No problem! Call after hours and leave a voicemail!)
(TIP #2: Didn’t see this in time to call on June 13th? No problem! Call whenever you can!)