YOUR CALL NEEDED – Committees considering Automatic Voter Registration, Clean Energy & Earned Sick Leave on Thursday!
UPDATE, 4/7: Thank you to everyone who made phone calls & wrote emails. All of these bills successfully moved forward! The Automatic Voter Registration bill the the Clean Energy bill are scheduled for a vote in the Assembly on 4/12. Contact your two assembly members now and urge them to vote yes on these bills. (Not sure who they are? Find out here.) Stay tuned for next steps on the Earned Sick Leave bill.
Contact state committee chairs by Thursday morning (4/5) to voice your support for automatic voter registration, clean and renewable energy, and earned sick leave! Keep reading for details….
This Thursday afternoon, the state Assembly Appropriations Committee will consider 2 important bills:
- A2014, which would bring opt-out automatic voter registration at the DMV to New Jersey. AVR policies are incredibly successful at increasing the number of registered voters and keeping the voter rolls up-to-date. This bill has been advancing through the state Senate, and is now starting to move through the Assembly. Let’s help it move quickly to the floor for a vote!
- A3723, a Clean & Renewable Energy Bill. This bill establishes a timeline for increasing the use of renewable energy in our state, so that by 2030, 50% of energy used in NJ would come from renewable sources. This bill is supported by the New Jersey League of Conservation Voters.
Contact Assembly Appropriations Committee chair John Burzichelli (D-3) at 856-251-9801 or 856-339-0808, or AsmBurzichelli@njleg.org
Your talking points:
- I’m calling/writing because you are the chair of my state Assembly’s Appropriations Committee and you will be considering some important bills on Thursday, April 5th.
- We need to increase the number of registered voters and automatic voter registration is a simple and successful way to do that. Support A2014!
- We need to set up automatic voter registration soon — the primary election is only a few months away!
- We need to use a lot more renewable energy in our state. Support bill A3723!
Also on Thursday, the state Senate Budget & Appropriations Committee will consider:
- S2314, the Senate companion bill to A3723, to bring increased renewable energy to NJ by 2030. (See above)
- A1827/S2171, the Earned Sick Leave bill which recently passed in the state Assembly. This bill will establish earned sick leave benefits for all workers in the state. Currently, more than 1 million New Jerseyans have no sick leave.
Contact Senate Budget & Appropriations chair Paul Sarlo (D-3) at 201-804-8118 or SenSarlo@njleg.org
Your talking points:
- I’m calling/writing because you are the chair of my state Senate’s Budget & Appropriations Committee and you will be considering some important bills on Thursday, April 5th.
- We need to use a lot more renewable energy in our state. Support bill S2314!
- To protect public health, we must ensure that all workers can stay home when they are sick. Many of NJ’s who currently have no paid sick leave benefits are the people who take care of children and the elderly. Support A1827!