Do you have 4 minutes to save our country? Defending Democracy, Step 2
If the president is going to spend his time sharing top-secret information with the Russians, then WE NEED TO SPEND OUR TIME SAVING OUR DEMOCRACY! IF YOU HAVE 4 MINUTES, YOU CAN DO THIS! Everyone needs to do something EVERY DAY this week to help bring about an independent investigation into Trump’s possible ties with Russia. Feeling overwhelmed? We’ll take you step-by-step thru the week, with specific advice for people here in New Jersey. (Missed our Step 1 call-to-action? You can catch up here).
The president admitted this morning that he shared highly sensitive intelligence with Russia, a country that all intelligence agencies agree attacked our elections last year. Every day, evidence of Trump’s potential collusion with Russia grows and grows. We need an independent investigation NOW.
Here’s what you’re going to do today, in about 4 minutes (it took me exactly 4 minutes and 48 seconds).
First, mark your calendars for June 3rd, when Marches for Truth will happen all over the country! March with thousands of other Americans to demand an independent investigation into Trump’s possible ties with Russia. Events near central Jersey are being planned in Bedminster, NYC, Philadelphia, and DC.
Second, if you have a Republican representative in the House, keep pressuring them to come out in support of an independent commission. Contact them today by phone or letter (or even better, DO BOTH!) If you did this yesterday as part of Step 1, wonderful! Now do it again today! Here are your talking points (try to use your own words if you can; it’s a lot more effective):
- I’m alarmed that Trump gets to appoint the person who will head the FBI’s investigation into Trump’s own campaign. I want an independent investigation.
- I’m alarmed that a foreign country has messed with our elections. I’m alarmed that our president is sharing top secret information with the country that messed with our elections. We need an independent investigation to defend ourselves against Russia’s hostile actions against our country.
- If your House representative is Frank LoBiondo or Leonard Lance, thank them for speaking out against the president’s firing of FBI Director Comey. (According to the NYTimes, LoBiondo described the firing as “deeply troubling”; Lance said, “The American people deserve a fuller explanation.”)
- I want you to join your 11 Republican colleagues in Congress who have already called for an independent investigation: Rep. Justin Amash (MI), Rep. Mike Coffman (CO), Rep. Barbara Comstock (VA), Rep. Carlos Curbelo (FL), Sen. Lindsey Graham (SC), Rep. Darrell Issa (CA), Rep. Walter Jones (NC), Sen. John McCain (AZ), Rep. Tom McClintock (CA), Sen. Lisa Murkowski (AK) and Rep. Erik Paulsen (MN).
(856) 427-7000 Rep. Norcross (1st)
(609) 625-5008 Rep. LoBiondo (2nd)
(732) 569-6495 Rep. MacArthur (3rd)
(732) 780-3035 Rep. Smith (4th)
(888) 216-5646 Rep. Gottheimer (5th)
(732) 249-8892 Rep. Pallone (6th)
(908) 788-6900 Rep. Lance (7th)
(908) 820-0692 Rep. Sires (8th)
(201) 935-2248 Rep. Pascrell (9th)
(201) 369-0392 Rep. Payne (10th)
(973) 984-0711 Rep. Frelinghuysen (11th)
(609) 883-0026 Rep. Coleman (12th)
Not in NJ?
Call to be directly connected to your rep
If you have a Democrat representing you in the House, you’re going to focus on contacting our senators today. Call them or send them a letter (or even better, DO BOTH!). Sen. Booker and Sen. Menendez have both called for an independent investigation into the Trump-Russia scandal. But we need to press them to do even more, as recommended by the folks at Indivisible. Here are your talking points (try to use your own words if you can — its more effective):
- Thank you for calling for an independent investigation.
- Our national security is at risk. These are not normal times. I want you to take extraordinary measures to help protect our country.
- I want you to stop conducting business as usual in the Senate until a special prosecutor has been appointed by the deputy attorney general. I want you to withhold unanimous consent and filibuster if necessary.
- I want the Senate to refuse to confirm a new FBI director until a special prosecutor has been appointed.
TIP #1: Can’t get through to DC office numbers (beginning with 202)? Try the local office numbers. For Sen. Booker call 856-338-8922 or 973-639-8700. For Sen. Menendez, call 973-645-3030 or 856-757-5353.
TIP #2: Feeling nervous about making phone calls? Call after hours and leave a voicemail.
If you have extra time today, take 5 more minutes and send a letter to one of the 11 congressional Republicans who have called for an independent investigation. You can find addresses and talking points here.
(UPDATE, 5/17/17: The deputy attorney general has appointed a special counsel! Thanks to everyone who has been making phone calls and writing! ) If you have even more time, take 3 minutes and call or send a letter or postcard to deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein. Tell him: “Be a patriot and stand up for our country. Appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the Trump-Russia scandal NOW!” Call 202-353-1555 or write to: Office of the Dep. Attorney General, Dept. of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC, 20530-0001.